Born in 1971 in Samut Prakarn province, Thailand, he completed his bachelor’s degree at Chiang Mai University in 1996 with his BA thesis painting Foreign Intervention (1996), which was awarded the Grand Prize of Panasonic Contemporary Art in the 3rd Panasonic Contemporary Painting Exhibition in 1997.
In 1999, he acquired a master’s degree at Silapakorn University; his MA thesis painting Green Goblin vs Maiyarap (2004) was also awarded the Grand Prize of Panasonic Contemporary Art in the 4th Panasonic Contemporary Painting Exhibition in 2002.
Other awards include
- The Special Award in the 9th Toshiba Thailand Contemporary Art competition (1997)
- Grand Prize in the 13th Toshiba Thailand’s Contemporary Art competition (2001)
- Special Prize in the 14th Toshiba Thailand’s Contemporary Art competition (2002)
Tatsanasomboon has participated in several international art shows including
- Asia Art Now at the Korean Cultural and Arts Foundation, Korea (2003)
- Tradition and Modernity in South East Asian Art, New York, USA (2006)
- Art Singapore, (2008); Visions of East Asia 2008 for the Olympics, China (2008)
- The Indian Art Summit, India (2009)
- Art Monaco, Monaco
- Arteclasica 10, Buenos Aires, Argentina (2010)
- ArtScience Museum, Singapore in the exhibition Andy Warhol: 15 Minutes Eternal (2012)
- Bahrain (2014)
In Thailand, he exhibited in
- The 46th National Art Exhibition, National Gallery, Bangkok (2000);
- ASEAN Art Awards Exhibition, Bangkok (2003)
- Love and Struggle together with Sudjai Chaiyapan at Thavibu Gallery, Bangkok (2004)
- A Transformation of Icons (solo show) at Thavibu Gallery, Bangkok (2006)
- Love and Lust (solo show) at Thavibu Gallery, Bangkok (2008)
- Man Heroes Myths & Gods at Mulan Gallery, Singapore (2009)
- Camouflage (solo show) at Thavibu Gallery, Bangkok (2010)
- Controversy (solo show) at Art Front Gallery, Singapore (2011)
- The Desires of Nonthok (solo show) at Thavibu Gallery, Bangkok (2013)
- Disparity (solo show) at Thavibu Gallery, Bangkok (2015)
- Illusions of Liberty (solo show) at Yenakart Villa Art Gallery, Bangkok (2017)
Jirapat Tatsanasomboon is the only Thai artist included in the recent book by the international publisher Thames & Hudson – 100 Painters of Tomorrow. Thus, he has been vetted by international curators as one of the most promising artists of his generation.
He sells regularly at international auctions and is collected worldwide.